Sleep Apnea & Snoring
Have you ever been told that you sometimes stop breathing while asleep, or that your snoring is interrupted by pauses, gasps and snorting noises? These are all signs that you may be suffering from sleep apnea. This condition can be extremely disruptive and frustrating to a bed partner, and can also be quite harmful to your health.
- An apnea is the suspension of breathing
- Each stoppage in breath results in drops in blood oxygen levels
- Sleep apnea sufferers may have dozens to hundreds of apneas each night
- Sleep apneas can last from a few seconds to more than a minute
- The sleeper is momentarily startled awake, but usually does not remember
- To resume breathing, the body’s nervous system triggers a stress response
Sleep Apnea can usually be diagnosed when the patient is monitored overnight in a designated sleep lab. However, now that technology is progressing, patients are able to do the sleep test at home with the proper monitoring equipment. At CedarNorth Sleep, we give the patients the option of performing the sleep test at home. After the test, the patient will receive an AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) based off their results. The score is generally expressed as the number of events per hour, and can be used to determine the severity of the patient’s sleep apnea.
7405 North Cedar Ave, Ste 102A
Fresno, CA 93720